Sometimes, accidents happen before we even have a chance to stop them. And sometimes these accidents are simply unavoidable and not our own fault. Unfortunately, negligence, homicide and other examples of wrongful death happen to even the most careful. If you or someone you know is a victim of the damage done because of wrongful death, there is assistance out there for you. A wrongful death attorney can help you achieve peace of mind and receive the damages that you deserve. Hiring a wrongful death attorney is a process, however it can be done quickly.
What is wrongful death?
Wrongful death is any case that is caused by someone else’s negligence or violence. There are many different examples of negligence and violence. These can include certain car accidents, homicide, driving under the influence and more. A wrongful death case must meet certain parameters to have that title including surviving family members and a negligence or violence title. If your family member or loved one can be considered a victim, it is time to seek a wrongful death attorney to help you with your case.
Hiring an Attorney
Before you hire an attorney, there are several things you should consider before you make the decision. There are millions of attorneys out there that take on wrongful death cases. However, you should consider the following before you invest your time, finances and emotions:
- Recommendations – Does the lawyer have any recommendations? If so, gather these and read through them. If they do not, you might want to ask why. Good recommendations can be a sign of a good attorney, especially if they have helped others in your situation before.
- Emotion – Does the lawyer just sit and shake his head when you explain your situation? Or is he or she trying to understand what happened? You will want someone who is empathetic of your situation. Otherwise, the attorney may not do their best to get what you need.
- Experience – Does the lawyer have one year of experience fresh out of school? Or does the attorney have 20 years of experience in the field? For this case, you may wish to find an attorney who is skilled in the ins and outs of a wrongful death case. It is not a light case and it calls for someone who is skilled in the subject.
- Comfort – If you have spoken to a lawyer, do you feel comfortable with them? Much like a counselor, you must be able to talk to your lawyer about how you are feeling regarding the situation. Your attorney is there to help you and must be trusted. If you feel you cannot trust them, it is probably time to move on.
- Budget – Although you are ready to just get some help, you should consider your finances before seeking out an attorney. Your budget will help you make an educated decision on who is best for you. Also, be sure to discuss your budget with your attorney before you sign a check.
- Communication Skills – Unfortunately, most attorneys are extremely busy. You will want to find someone who is easy to contact and has great communication skills. You must share quite a bit of information back and forth from here on out.
Once you have considered these ideas, it is time to contact an attorney and decide. Here is how.
- Make a list of attorneys in your area. Once you have a larger list, contact each of them and ask for a consultation. Some attorneys charge and some do not.
- Once you have met with them, go through your considerations and make sure they line up with what you need and want.
- Decide on the best attorney for you and make contact. Allow them to discuss with you the next steps such as retainer payment, a detailed description of what happened and so on.
Your attorney is there to help you through the entire wrongful death case process. Make sure to consider your emotions, budget and feelings towards the attorney before deciding. Remember that there are many attorneys available to you. If you have a case that does not work, you can always try again. Wrongful death cases are difficult, but an attorney can help.